|Published:||5 months ago|
Health and Safety Advisor
Part of Grafton Group Plc, Chadwicks Group is the market leader in the builder’s merchanting industry in the Republic of Ireland. Main brands include Chadwicks, Heiton Buckley, Cork Builders Providers, Panelling Centre, Davies & Telfords.
The successful candidate will be a hands-on Health, Safety and Environmental professional, who is able to make a positive impact to the behaviours and culture of our growing business. Being able to prioritise workload is going to be essential, working closely with Branch and Regional teams to assist in the understanding of risk and aid the direction of cultural change. As well as good influencing skills, you will guide our operational teams through compliance requirements and support managers with any shortfalls. You will be a point of contact for all HS&E related matters and be expected to coach and advise others, leading them to become more accountable. You will build dynamic relationships with all stakeholders across the company, promoting a strong safety message and best working practices.
Reporting to the Health, Safety & Environmental Manager and working with the HS&E Team, to develop and deliver the safety, health and environment agenda, to establish and maintain safe systems of work and a safe and healthy environment for colleagues, customers and all other visitors across the 52 sites throughout Ireland.
To contribute to the effective implementation and monitoring of Chadwicks Group Health, Safety and Environmental management, policies, standards and procedures, to improve Branch and Company performance. To support Operational Managers, providing them with the necessary advice and guidance to enable them to fulfil their Health, Safety and Environmental management responsibilities and drive improvements.
Assist in developing and implementing Health, Safety and Environmental best practice and continuous improvement initiatives across the Chadwicks Group Businesses, engage proactively with managers to deliver the plan and work collaboratively with other safety teams in the Group to share best practice.
Typical Tasks & Activities
- Ensure routine Health, Safety and Environmental audits are completed in a timely manner across the Branch Network. Ensure a proactive approach to managing Health and Safety is implemented consistently across the business.
- You will manage and investigate incidents alongside Branch Teams identifying causes and managing actions to reduce potential of recurrence. Ensure accident/injury reporting and investigations are carried out consistently and to a high standard across the business. Assist Branch Teams with corrective actions are developed, outcomes are documented and completed to ensure we capture all relevant details without delay, this will include photos, CCTV, statements and documentation.
- Provide expert advice and guidance to Senior Management on the implications of current & emerging legislation and best practices in Health, Safety and Environmental management, making recommendations to flex and adapt approaches to work within the legislative requirements.
- Carry out coaching / mentoring of key Colleagues in the Branches – Yard Supervisors, Health & Safety coordinators, Branch Management Teams to shape and influence safety behaviours and Branch operations for effectiveness.
- Establish close working relationships with the Branch Management teams and the Regional Directors to become a key business partner rather than an auditor or enforcer.
- Work with Branches to review levels of Sustainability at Branch level, actively promote positive behaviours with a solutions-based approach.
- Proactively assess key business Health, Safety and Environmental risks and opportunities, monitor and review the reality of current safety and health practices and present your recommendations, plans and progress reports to Senior Management regularly.
- Maintain close working relationships with other Grafton Group safety and health teams to reduce the potential for conflicting safety and health messages and to share best practice and resources.
- Take responsibility for personal development, learning and performance levels as part of regular performance reviews with the Chadwicks Group Health, Safety & Environmental Manager.
- Perform other reasonable duties assigned by the Chadwicks Group Health, Safety & Environmental Manager from time to time.
Essential Skills & Experience
- 3rd Level Qualification at diploma / degree level or above in Health & Safety
- Flexible attitude is required – role will cover all sites nationwide, so some overnights and extensive travel will be required.
- Practical and pragmatic approach to HS&E risk management
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- Ability to work on own initiative to resolve Branch issues through practical solutions
- Self-motivated with an ability to ensure a full diary is maintained and an ability to plan, prioritise and organise own workload effectively, working to tight deadlines, an ability to respond quickly to unplanned events and changing work priorities.
- A good level of computer literacy in excel, PowerPoint, outlook, word is required along with strong administration skills.
- Full class B driver’s licence
Desirable Skills & Experience
Environmental Management qualification
Previous training or consultancy experience
Train the Trainer Qualification
Manual Handling Instructor
Membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
Experience in retail, building materials or warehousing and logistics industries
Experience in behavioural auditing and behavioural change programmes
We offer a huge range of Company benefits including a competitive salary, fully expensed company vehicle, profit-based bonus scheme, share save scheme, a company pension scheme and discounts across a wide range of products. Continual Professional Development is actively supported and encouraged.
- Team Leader (Trade Sales) - Watford
Job location: Watford Job salary: Starting rate £23,296 p/a (£11.20 p/h)
About Us Fancy developing your career with the ...
- Team Leader - Lucan
Job location: Lucan Job salary: 30200
Woodie's is the market-leading DIY, Home & ...
- HGV Driver - Wembley
Job location: London Job salary: £37,400 p/a (£16.00 p/h)
About UsFancy developing your career with the U...
By submitting your details you agree to our T&Cs